Summit Medical Group (SMG) is the largest doctor-owned multi-specialty practice in the country. The orthopedic department within SMG rapidly grew from two surgeons at one location to 48 specialists at 28 locations. Most of the physicians had their own existing practices and brands before merging with SMG Orthopedics.
In order to develop the SMG Orthopedics brand and unify the vision and strategy for the growth of the department, we facilitated an Activate!Workshop.
In preparation for the Activate!Workshop, we initiated the following:
- Project plan for the overall Activate!Workshop process
- Initial fact finding via interviews with SMG executives and key staff
- Market research, competitor analysis and analysis of overall trends in the industry
- Department data analysis
- Catch basin analysis to determine where their patients were coming from
The Activate!Workshop involved approximately 60 members, including the orthopedic department and executive team. During the workshop, we facilitated six breakout sessions.
By the conclusion of the Activate!Workshop, we had developed the general direction and framework for the strategic direction of the department and the overall concepts to grow it. This allowed us to finalize the following:
- Newly defined SMG Orthopedics brand and vision
- Twelve-month marketing plan and budget
- Project plan to address operational challenges, including the development of a tool to better triage patients
- Team cohesion and brand unification
At the end of the project, the strategy and overall growth plan was presented to the board and approved for implementation. Points Group was asked to help SMG with the implementation of the strategic growth plan.