Your website is one of your practice’s most important assets. When it comes to building a website, there are so many tools available that make it seem like a piece of cake. However, not all tools are created equal. If you build your website using the wrong tools, you could be setting yourself up or major problems in the near future.
WordPress is one of the best platforms out there in which to build your website. At Points, we build all of our websites starting with WordPress. Here are some of the reasons we love it:
- 100% customization. WordPress is great for professional web developers (like us) because it allows for 100% customization. If you can dream it, you can build it on WordPress
- Blogging capability. WordPress comes with a standard blogging feature. Blogging is one of our top search engine optimization (SEO) tools, and we recommend a blog on every site we build
- Search engines love it. WordPress makes it easy for search engines like Google, Yahoo, and Bing to find the content on websites. It also comes with plugins that make digital marketing and gathering analytics data seamless
- Scalability. A site built on WordPress can be as small as a single static page to as large as a full-scale site with thousands of pages
- Ease of use. WordPress is one of the most user-friendly platforms that exists. If a website is built properly, it is very easy for someone with little to no coding experience to make updates to the pages of the site. This is key for quickly and easily keeping the information on your website up-to-date
- Themes. WordPress has many themes in which to choose. Themes are “prebuilt” web designs that you can purchase and apply to your own site as a starting point. Themes make it easy to build a site without having to start from scratch. However, you need to choose the right prebuilt theme for your website’s long-term success
So, how do you know if you are picking the right theme? Ask yourself this:
1. Does it have all of the elements I’m looking for?
There are a lot of themes out there, and they all have different elements within them. Sometimes, it can be hard to find a theme that has everything you need. Before you start searching, think about what information you will want on your website. Are there any specific elements you need such as a testimonial section, an appointment form or a doctor profile page? Knowing these answers ahead of time will help you narrow down your search.
2. Is it customizable?
It is very rare that you will find a theme that has everything you need in the exact colors you are looking for. In order to make a theme work for you, you may need to make customizations. These may include changing imagery, adding new pages or changing the color scheme. Some themes have different options built into them that make it easy for you to make these updates. Others are built the way that they are built, and it is very difficult to change the way that they look. In these cases, you need to be careful when making updates because a minor customization in one place may affect the way something works somewhere else on the website.
3. Is it supported?
When a developer builds a theme, they can do one of two things:
- Put it up for sale and never think about it again.
- Keep the theme up-to-date with the latest security updates. Then, provide support to users by answering questions and helping when things break within the theme.
Sometimes, it can be hard to tell at a quick glance if a theme is being supported by the developer. Here are some quick things to look out for that can be signs of whether or not a theme is supported:
- Active users. How many active users does the theme have? If there are thousands and thousands of people using the theme, it is more likely that it is being supported or there is a “Help” thread out there where someone will be able to assist you, if you have a problem. If a theme has less than 100 users, it is less likely that you are going to be able to find help when you need it
- Changelog. When was the last time the changelog was updated? The changelog is a record of updates/improvements that are made to a theme. Usually, when you go to purchase a theme, the changelog is available somewhere in the theme details. A changelog with a lot of updates and recent updates is a good sign that the developer is on top of updates and keeping the theme secure
A supported theme is crucial not only for the purpose of making design updates but more importantly for security updates. WordPress and other content management systems are constantly pushing out updates to improve security and block breaches. If your theme is not up-to-date with the most recent updates, it could break when WordPress makes these updates. Coding best practices are constantly changing and code that worked on WordPress one year ago, may not work the way it is meant to anymore.
So, what do you do when you can’t find a theme that checks all three boxes?
Finding a theme that meets all of your needs and still makes it easy to build your own website is close to impossible. At Points Group, we have a Website Development Team that offers a range of solutions to meet your website needs on your budget. We’re experts in healthcare marketing, so we know exactly what is needed to make a healthcare website that works for your practice. We offer solutions that include:
- Custom content development
- Professional web design
- User-friendly website builders (so you can build your own website)
- Safe, secure website hosting
- Lifetime theme support
- Software development
- Custom plugin design and development
Whether you’re looking for something completely custom or you want a simple and cheap website, we’ve got you covered. Our themes are custom-built and supported for life. If you can think it, we can build it. Look no further.